Monday, November 12, 2007

My Punjabi Diwali






Link to more photos from the weekend:
http://uci.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2180368&l=625ba&id=6011342

Diwali, the festival of lights, is one of the most celebrated holidays in India. Generally it is a family occasion, which makes it a little more difficult for a foreigner like myself to participate in the real traditional Diwali festivities. However, I am very lucky to have made such great friends in Hyderabad, where my friend Saheba (from Delhi but works in Hyderabad) invited a friend Katie and I for a glorious Punjabi Diwali with her and her family.

First we started in Hyderabad where we did Puja (a type of prayers) at Saheba’s family’s’ factory. Then we went off to get Mendhi (Hena as some might know it as) at a beautiful little Mandir (Hindi Temple), followed by an incredible trip to the Gurdwara, the Sikh house of prayer. As my first time in a Gurdwara I was lucky enough to experience it during Diwali, the festival of lights. The whole Gurdwara was covered in the glow of candles in celebration. As we gave our shoes to the man collecting them (as you are not allowed to wear them inside) I was taken aback by him touching his fore head to the tip of each shoe he collected. After inquiring I found out that it is believed that a blessed soul could enter at any moment, and no one knows who that may be, so he gives that respect to everyone; I was so touched. After going inside, saying prayers and receiving our Prasad (an Indian sweet that has been blessed) we continued out to the courtyard which had a giant pool of water, which is considered holy water for one to drink all the way to bathe in. The reflection of the beautifully constructed Gurdwara over the water with the night sky in the background and the peaceful Japu (holy hymns) playing in the background gave me an indescribable amount of peace and contentment.

We continue on to Saheba’s “immediate” family Diwali party which includes over fifty people! Everyone was so nice, open and funny! Outside we had fireworks and sparklers to play with, and a few men from the street decided to join in and start playing the dohl (drum typical to Punjabi music) in the background. I could literally step back at that point and feel like I am in my Indian movie!

The next day we leave for Amristar, Punjab in a train with Saheba and her family. Our first stop is to the Golden Temple, a massive Gurdwara which is what Amristar is known for. The beauty of this place is indescribable. Its set up again includes a gigantic pool for people to bless themselves with by either touching, drinking or bathing in. The temple, in the center of the pool of water with a simple bridge connecting to it is made out of gold and stands strongly, elegantly and with a strong aura of power. The beauty and serenity of this Gurdwara was captivating and it was difficult for me to leave.

Finally we left the city of Amristar to go to a small village in which Saheba’s parent’s Guru lives. This Guru is actually a direct decent of Guru Nanak, basically the Guru that started Sikhism. We were privileged enough to stay at his house in the village for one night. In the morning Katie and I took a wonderful long walk into the village by the never ending fields while horse drawn carts full of people slowly passed us.

Oh and the gluttony! The Guru had his very own parata (an Indian dish that is amazingly yummy) cart in his backyard. Katie and I got to learn how to make paratas (Katie was amazing, I was horrible at it) and then gorge on paratas with different sides all day and all night.

Overall in this incredible weekend, I could have only asked for one thing more, my family to have been there to enjoy it with me. This was the most I have missed them since I have been gone and watching a family interact, I recalled and cherished so many memories.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats so great that you were able to experience Diwali in India. Where are the pics??? Link doesnt work right now

Ankur said...

So I saw your blog and thought to read a bit... it was really cool to read your impressions of Diwali and the Golden Temple. Having grown up in a Hindu family with Hindu traditions, I guess I no longer notice small things like a man touching shoes to his head -- I just don't notice other Hindus touching their heads to anything anymore because we do it so often :-) But reading your account of a man paying respect to every soul was really touching

Faauuga said...

this is like a movie being made but I know the actress...Keep up the good work...KIT

Anonymous said...

[COLOR="Red"][B]Click on the pictures to view in full size[/B][/COLOR]

[URL=http://www.wallpaperhungama.in/details.php?image_id=13383][IMG]http://www.wallpaperhungama.in/data/thumbnails/11/Katrina Kaif-314.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://www.wallpaperhungama.in/details.php?image_id=8825][IMG]http://www.wallpaperhungama.in/data/thumbnails/11/Katrina Kaif-309.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://www.wallpaperhungama.in/details.php?image_id=8822][IMG]http://www.wallpaperhungama.in/data/thumbnails/11/Katrina Kaif-306.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://www.wallpaperhungama.in/details.php?image_id=4238][IMG]http://www.wallpaperhungama.in/data/thumbnails/11/Katrina_Kaif-99.jpg[/IMG][/URL]


[url=http://www.wallpaperhungama.in/cat-Asin-32.htm][b]Katrina Kaif Sexy Wallpapers[/b][/url]

Photo gallery at t WallpaperHungama.in is dedicated to Katrina Kaif Pictures. Click on the thumbnails for enlarged Katrina Kaif pictures, exclusive photographs and exclusive photos. Also check out other Pictures Gallery representing High grade and Superior Boldness appearance scans, movie captures, movie promos, wallpapers, hollywood & bollywood pictures, photos of actresses and celebrities