Monday, March 3, 2008

To discuss or not to discuss

The other day my friend and I met for coffee and he mentioned his interest in my work and why I have chosen this profession. It led us into a discussion about poverty, HIV/AIDS, and many other social issues that exist in our world. During our discussion I kept wondering, does anyone really want to be aware of the social issues that actually exist in our society?

We all are aware there is poverty in the world. Each one of us has been channel searching and found ourselves watching those commercials pleading for money for children in Africa, showing us how they are mal-nutritional and uneducated. Does that really mean we understand what is going on around us?

The amount of people who are well knowledge or even work within social issues are small, so naturally I expect people would be inquisitive in the issues at hand, and the work being done to diminish those problems. However, to my surprise many people avoid being aware of the social issues happening in the world. Many of my friends, past and present work in the cooperate sector and are generally unaware of social issues. However if I ever even dare to bring up my work and give examples I am asked why I am being so depressing. I express how I am one of the only people they know in this field, do they not want to take advantage of that and educate themselves on situations they are unaware of? They are not interested in listening, not because they do not care, but because they don’t want to feel depressed over the circumstances; which I find fascinating as they are not the ones living the depressing situations, which is far more painful than knowledge about these situations. And since when has ignorance helped in progress to improve things?

Another example is when I spend time with different friends and the topic of sexual assault comes up, not that it comes up often, however in a few instances when it does. The females in the group mention the frustrations they have to go through as far as being grabbed, vulgar comments that are given, the dirty looks and stares we get, etc. Majority of the time my male friends are so distressed that we are forced to deal with these situations that they don’t want to hear that it occurs. Again I am told “why are you talking about such depressing things, I just want to have fun”. Yet majority of the time friends hang out, the talk is all fun and joking, however the one time a serious, realistic subject is brought up, it’s too depressing to listen to. Yet this is the reality we have to deal with everyday. It is a reality that every day in India I have to be conscious of how I dress, who is watching me, how the auto driver is staring at me, who is going to grab me, evaluate when it is ok to stand up for myself and when it is too dangerous.

Let me make this clear, I am not blaming only males for this. There are numerous male situations that people don’t want to listen to. In addition, I have plenty of male friends who support any sort of conversation of this sort and truly try to protect and empower us in whatever way they can. In addition I am not trying to attack those friends that do not want to hear, I understand reality is a hard truth, however what makes it right to ignore the social problems that are continuing in the world?

I am constantly criticized for my lack of awareness on political situations, which I will admit is a fault of mine that I am working on improving. About 75% of my friends are well aware of the presidential candidates in the US’s upcoming elections and can tell me in full detail what the health care plans are of each candidate. However if I bring up the health care system in India, how it is corrupt and unsupportive it is of it’s vast population, I am only criticized for being depressing. Where does that make any sense? Though I understand that reality can be depressing, does it mean that it is right that we remain ignorant to it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you somewhat. It would be good for more people to be aware of social issues. But I think if you look at the other side, my friends don't really ask me about my work in the corporate world. I think in general when people are out in social situations they don't want to talk about work. That's one aspect.

You also mention that social issues can be thought of as depressing and I think its true. Regardless if it is personally affecting you or not, it is still an undesirable feeling to think about suffering occurring in the world. I agree that everyone should still take the responsibility to understand what is going on in society, but I am just saying that it is natural for people to feel that way.

For me, I get personally frustrated talking about larger social issues because I don't really like to talk about problems without the potential for a solution. For some larger social problems they only feasible way to improve them is through governmental influence or large sums of money or resources, etc. So having a side conversation at a bar can be frustrating for me because I don't foresee how that conversation will lead to a solution or at least positively influencing the situation. Anyways, just my take.
Hope you're doin well!