Monday, March 3, 2008

Urban Health Posts

Urban Health Post

I once visited an Urban Health Post which is a government run semi hospital to treat those in the slums with minor illnesses. A doctor is paid to attend a certain amount of times a week and distribute medicine that is also supplied by the government and is free to the clients. The mission behind UHPs is to support those who are not able to go to hospitals with minor sicknesses like the flu, cough, pains, etc. If the doctor detects something more serious or suspects STIs or HIV they can refer the client to other facilities. As with many programs, the UHP system does not run as smoothly as hoped, however in my experience, it has been more disappointing than expected.
One particular UHP (let me make it clear that the situation is not always this, there ARE some doctors and professionals committed to the cause) I visited, the nurses and clients repeatedly complained that the doctor was not attending the days he was supposed to come. Luckily I had attended the day the doctor had actually come; everyone looked extremely tense. Apparently the doctor, when he did come, was extremely rude to the staff and literally scared them to death, which I saw the evidence of. During my visit the doctor came to know an “American” was visiting and asked to speak to me. There he explained to me in detail how he hates coming and he doesn’t trust any of these people, including my co workers, and that I shouldn’t either. He went on to say many horrible things about everyone that steps foot in the UHP. He also said he hadn’t been coming because he was hired by the same government agency that placed him in the UHP to be a sports doctor at some military games, essentially double booking this doctor.
I could not believe the attitude of this man, and how he literally detested being in that UHP. I have heard other stories that some of the doctors charge the clients for their medicines to make extra money even though the medicine is supposed to be free for the clients. I find it frustrating how there are programs being set up for the benefit of these communities, yet the effort and money that is put into programs yet the support within them tends to diminish over time. Where do these problems get solved then?

No comments: