Sunday, September 23, 2007

First Few Days In Hyderabad

I find it incredible how people can reach out to a person they do not know. In the last two weeks in Hyderabad, I was very lucky to have people I hardly knew, but have some sort of connection to, connect me with people that live in Hyderabad. The first night I was here, feeling very isolated and a little scared in my room, alone, in a guest house full of only men, I was greeted by friendly faces that I didn’t even know. My dad made one call at 11 o’clock at night and within 45 minutes an Aunty and Uncle (who have never met my mom and dad) were at my front door to take me for ice cream. Since then they have been calling to check up on me, take me out to dinner and even helped me go shopping for work clothes.

Another instance is a pervious fellow that was placed in Hyderabad two years ago and decided to stay. She spoke at orientation about her experience and her and I connected. As soon as I got here she invited me to a party and connected me with a lot of people my age living here. She even got me a ride from a guy named Ian (I know Ian is reading this right now ;) ) who has been an absolute gem to me. From the first day of giving me a ride to the party, Ian has always called me up, inquired how the settling process is, and has included me in all of his plans. From him I have met some wonderful people who I am enjoying immensely. The other day five of us had a “cook out” and had my first sleep over in India, which was grand! I helped cook Indian food…and it tasted amazing! Jeana and Shrina…it was SO much better than our attempt for butter chicken years ago, I learned something for when I come back.

I am so grateful for how wonderful some people can really be.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Hilarious - the image of Ian being compared to anything precious is just too much :p

neeshy said...

i think i'm going to have to try your indian cooking when you're back!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.