Sunday, September 23, 2007

FOOODDD!!

Food

Ever since I have been in Delhi I have been working out of the Regional office of my NGO…meaning I have not been in contact with the communities that I intend to work with. Saturday (YES we work on Saturdays here) I finally got the opportunity to get myself accustomed to the site I will be spending most my time at, a site that works with and provides programs to HIV positive people. A few of the staff are paid but most of the members who work a large amount of hours there are all HIV positive people wanting to make a difference. It’s truly admirable. Also there is no distinguishing between staff and members, everyone is the same there.

I went to observe the clinic day where doctors distribute medicine for opportunistic infections and a session where a lawyer informs the members of their rights as they are discriminated against because they are HIV positive. Lunch arrived about 20 minutes after I got there and the fuss over me began. I was led into a room (mind you I do not speak the same language as most of these people so I am getting by on my broke Hindi) and told to sit. I realized they were sitting me there for lunch. I attempted to explain that I wanted to sit outside with everyone else on a sheet that was placed on the floor. No one would allow me to do so, they did not want me to sit on the floor. Everyone else, staff and members, ate on this tin foil plates while I was given a huge glass plate. Everyone came in one at a time serving me the different plates of food. I could hardly sit still having all these people serve me; it was more than I could handle. I kept telling them it wasn’t necessary as I could do it myself but they weren’t having it. Finally my plate was set with food and they left me to eat. Then every two minutes someone came in to see if I wanted more food or just see if I was ok. I felt so incredibly bad because they gave me water, which was tap water, so I could not drink it. I hated myself when I saw the look on their faces when I did not take the water they offered me. How could I explain that my spoiled self is from the US and I cannot handle their tap water? Finally I was done eating, and then got attacked by people because I attempted to take the 10 feet treck to the sink to put my dish away.

It’s difficult for me to handle this on a daily basis. I have many friends who have maids that are elderly, (I hope I do not insult any of my friends living in India) and it’s very common to have them clean your house and do the cooking. When I move into an apartment I am sure I will have the same thing. Yet it’s such a contradiction to me because I always thought it was my Indian culture that taught me to treat elders with the utmost respect. I was never allowed to let elders get water themselves, always offer them your seat, they should always be served food before you, etc. I respect this about my culture. Yet I come here and it really depends on your status.

One thing I will say is the hospitality is amazing. No matter where you go you are offered Chai (tea) or water. What a simple but beautiful way to express to someone you are welcome in my home or office.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your grandma, your Nanima, had taught me that whenever someone comes into your home, the first thing you should do is give them some water.... to welcome them.

Continents apart, yet this cultural tradition, thankfully is the same.

I can just imagine you being served so loyally, and how you must have felt to say no to the tap water....

Ahat an interesting observation, that in some cases, respect is given by status level....

with my love
Mommie